Monday, August 11, 2008

Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot Pieeee



Ah, Chicken Pot Pie, what can be more traditionally American than this. Unfortunately, I do not come from a traditionally American family so I can't share any fond "mom baking chicken pot pie" memories (she makes a killer okonomiyaki tho).

It's a dish that always intrigued me. I mean, the idea of sticking a savory stew in a flaky pie crust? Ingenious! When I did try one it was a Pepperidge Farm frozen pot pie...which left my taste buds unenthused.

So, I decided to make one from scratch. Following a Cook's Illustrated recipe I overcame my trepidation of making pie crusts, pulled out the food processor and made some pie dough.

You put in how much butter? Oh my god, this crust is like 99% pure fat. Vodka?! Seriously? But that's what makes it so gooood.

For the filling I used a recipe I found on Allrecipes.com. A very good site I highly recommend.

I divided the pot pie in to 4 small individual pies. The result was AWESOME. Almost makes me want to sing a little tune.

No comments: