Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Pet Rocket


As mentioned before I now have a new pet betta. Actually, this is my second one, the first one was an iridescent blue, and well… died within hours. Never have I had a pet die so fast under my care. My pet owning anxieties resurfaced, but I decided to get another victim anyway…

The pet fish store said it was probably a freak thing and exchanged it with another fish. The next one was a dark red, I determined that the previous one died because I hadn't named him. I promptly christened the new fish, on the subway ride home, Rocket.

I guess it took to his new name because the lil' guy zipped out of the plastic bag like he was escaping Guantanamo. I can't blame him, he was living in a bowl the size of a tea cup and now he's in a luxurious 2 gallon tank.

He seemed a bit neurotic at first, flying up and down the tank wall, but he's settled down now. His prior living conditions at the pet store weren't the best, as I later noticed he had fin rot (caused by dirty water). I treated him with some herbal medicine (yes, there's herbal medicine for fish.) His fins are growing back a little gnarly but all in all he's alert, curious and eats like a pig. All good signs. He hates fingers though. Don't point your finger at him, it freaks him out.

Oh, did I mention he's a food snob? Wouldn't eat the $3.50 fish food but he'll gladly eat the $7.99 one. Spoiled brat.

No comments: